Jacobs School Student Travel Fund
The Jacobs School of Engineering Travel Fund was made possible by generous donations from the 2013 graduating senior class in conjunction with the annual Ring Ceremony. Through their giving efforts, our seniors came together as Tritons helping to secure enhanced learning opportunities for the future Jacobs School alumni. Awards from this fund will help cover cost for undergraduate student travel to conferences and competitions.
Continuing the tradition is something Jacobs students are committed to doing – seniors from each graduating class will help to ensure this award will continue to assist rising engineers for years to come. Your participation in the annual Ring Ceremony provides you with a legacy – that legacy has made you a UCSD Alumni and donor, ultimately setting the stage for future graduates to follow in your leadership footsteps.
The Jacobs School of Engineering Student Travel Fund provides opportunity for individual student and student organizations to apply for scholarships to supplement costs of conferences or other similar events. Students applying for these funds should be focused on opportunities to increase student visibility and networking.
The following items details specific scholarship requirements for application and reimbursement guidelines
- Students/organizations can apply for either conference attendance purposes or presentation of their own project
- Any undergraduate student with a major declared in the Jacobs School of Engineering is eligible
- Conference specifications: Any opportunity in which the student is invited to display or present their work in a professional environment for engineering OR the student is attending a conference for networking purposes. The conference must be directed toward an engineering field or the project developed must have an engineering foundation. Other professional development and networking opportunities will be considered.
- Max award per student: $200
- Max award per organization: $600
- Organization specifications: Organizations must apply as a team and teams should turn in one request with the members in attendance listed.
- Student/organization must report potential costs associated with the conference attendance in a budget format
- Student/organization must report any other current or potential sources of funding they are receiving and provide updates to the selection committee if there are any changes to funding sources
- Funding request and application must be submitted no less than one month from scheduled conference/travel opportunity start date
- Cost associated can only include fees relating to transportation, conference attendance/registration, and actual cost to student for lodging. Costs associated with printing, obtaining presentation materials, food, or unnecessary materials will not be accepted.
- Proof of attendance and payment is necessary. Scholarships are provided to students on a reimbursement basis only.
- Upon returning from conference or related travel, student must submit all required forms and documentation (as outlined in the section titled "Reimbursement Guidelines") for reimbursement process to be completed. NOTE – individual students that benefit from an organization award are responsible for completing the survey as referenced in "Reimbursement Guidelines" section.
- Students/organizations may only apply for funding once per academic year
- Deadline: Applications for funding must be received at least 4 weeks prior to the conference, competition, or travel date, whichever occurs first.
After submitting the funding request, all applications are reviewed by a committee of Jacobs School students under the supervision of Melinda Beyerle, Student Life Coordinator.
Student/organization point of contact will receive communication pertaining to their award status to the preferred email address submitted in the application. Award recipients will receive detailed instructions on completing a W-9 and Student Certification Form. These forms must be completed and returned to Melinda Beyerle's office in advance of taking the actual conference/event travel
The Jacobs School of Engineering Student Travel Fund is a scholarship program providing support to engineering students and/or organizations for conference or event travel. As scholarships are given on a reimbursement basis (pending approval in advance) – in order to process reimbursement requests individual students/organizations who received a scholarship should complete the following within 1 week of returning from travels:
- Bring all original receipts for qualified/approved conference costs (conference fees, hotel and travel expenses) to the IDEA Student Center (Jacobs Hall Lobby). Receipts must be accompanied by a cover sheet with your name, date, conference/event name attended, location and date of the event and email address. For group/organization reimbursement requests, please list all attending members from original application who benefited from the scholarships.
- Complete the online Travel Reimbursement Survey (Note – all individual students benefiting from a group/organization award must submit a separate Reimbursement Survey.)
- Email 3-5 event/conference photos that will accompany the content of the Reimbursement Survey on a website for public viewing. Photos should be sent to email@example.com
- * Please note that due to UCSD Travel restrictions, group/organization travel must be reimbursed to an individual and cannot be reimbursed to an organization. Reimbursements for awarded organization travel through the Student Travel Fund will be disbursed to the main contact on the application. The main contact must then distribute payment as necessary to their group/organization, independent of the Student Travel Fund committee.
Questions? Please contact Melinda Beyerle at firstname.lastname@example.org or 858-534-6105.